Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was one of the renowned political personalities Of India. Here are 10 important facts about him:
- Sardar Patel was born in the year 1875 and was raised in the country side of Gujarat. He passed matriculation at the age of 22.
- Patel used to practice law at Godhra, Borsad and Anand in Gujarat, and borrowed books from senior lawyers to pass the bar exam.
- Patel travelled to England and enrolled in the Middle Temple Inn, and finished a 36-month course within just 30 months and topped the final examination.
- In the early stages of the freedom movement, Patel was not interested in politics. However, after meeting Gandhi he got influenced and joined the Congress and became the secretary of the Gujarat Sabha.
- Patel quit his job and joined the freedom movement to fight for exemption of taxes in Kheda during famine.
- Sardar Patel was made a senior leader of the Indian National Congress (INC). After India became independent, he was made the first home minister of India and the deputy Prime Minister.
- He worked extensively against consumption of alcohol consumption, untouchability, caste problem and discrimination and also towards empowerment of women.
- He is credited to persuade more